At Schaefer Custom Homes, we build green because it impacts both the environment and offers our homeowners a natural based product.
We use building products that will provide long-term benefits, low maintenance, and reduced energy bills. When working with our custom home clients, we trace all the green construction processes back to two primary concerns: How much is it going to cost? What are the benefits?
Our standard “green” features:
- Large covered porches limit direct sun into home
- Low-flow faucets and toilets
- Vinyl or wood windows with insulated Low-E glass
- Radiant barrier roof decking
- Locally quarried brick and rock
- Tankless gas hot water heaters
- Fluorescent lighting
- Light color rock/stone/stucco and exterior paint reflects sun
- Wrapped Tyvek serves as a sealant and moisture barrier
- Window locations are carefully selected so daylight sunlight flows throughout the home, reducing the need for artificial light.
- Fireplace gets outside air for combustion rather than pulling conditioned air from inside home
- James Hardie siding is made from long lasting fiber cement
- Energy Star appliances
- High SEER HVAC units with variable speed fan/compressors with R-410 refrigerant
- Spray-in insulation in attic and walls
- Native landscaping